Saturday, January 25, 2014

Celebrating New Year Eve

It's probably too late to talk about new year eve. It is already January 25. But, after I recover my blog *I could not open it for quite some times* this is the first topic I would like to write. This topic brings me all the way back to December 31 last year, when my friends and I were planning on our new year eve party. The three of us, were sitting in a couch, thinking "what should we do?"

Last year, my friend and I spend our new year eve in my boarding house. We cooked some meals and ate them together. The food was delicious and we were having so much fun. We were watching the fireworks from the streets. There were a lot of fireworks, beautiful fireworks. And I took some pictures using my phone.

Here is the picture of the meals we cooked :D

So, this year we planned on doing something different. We would like to have a memorable night, some interesting event different from last year. So, we decided to dine in a mall and spend the new year eve there. We went to the mall early to avoid traffic jam. When we arrived, we went to a restaurant and started eating. After that, we were just walking around when I notice something. The place was rather quite, not many people were there. I was questioning why, this mall is usually so crowded with people in every events, so why not today? So, I decided to asked the security.

To our surprise, the security staff said that there would be no new year celebration here, because the mall was currently under some renovation. Such a heart breaking news! I was so sad, I wanted to do something, I wanted to spent the new year eve happily with my friends, it that too much to ask?

At this point, we had nothing to do, so we decided to stay, hoping that we can see the fireworks from the mall. I was so shocked when the restaurant where we were spending our time kicked us out because they were closing. I was like "this is freaking new year eve, can't you open up longer?"

I was mad so i asked my friends to go home instead. With the thought of this night could not get any worse, I turned my laptop on and took it to the living room, when my friends were waiting. We were just watching some Youtube videos and surfing on the internet when suddenly I heard a loud murmur from the crowd outside. It was my neighborhood, so I decided to join. There were also my flatmates there. We were chatting and greeting each other.

The counting started, the fireworks launched. Some jokes cracked, and some laughs heard. I started to think that probably it was not so bad, spending the new year eve this way. Well, at least I got to know more of my neighbors, and made some new friends. I was mesmerized by the fireworks, when one of my flatmates asked my why did not I take any pictures. I simply said I had a lot of fireworks picture from the last new year eve celebration.

I was startled from what I said. Yes, I did have a lot of fireworks picture in my phone. They were not much different from the fireworks I was seeing at that time. Nothing's changed. This thought escalated really quickly, until I was in a deep thought of what has changed and has not changed. I glanced at my friend, this has not changed, there were pictures in my head, about my friend and I spending time together, laughing and talking nonsense. I love it, I love our togetherness, it is priceless.

Then I realized, it was not the place, or the meals that made an event memorable. It was the people. It was my friends, who were laughing beside me, that made me feel that this night was not so bad. It was my friends that made me realized that we can be anywhere, doing anything, but as long as we were together, we will definitely be happy. After 7 years together, I just realized it that time. Perhaps, because I was taking it for granted. I was so stupid. For having such precious friends, it is something to be thankful of, is it not? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment